Recipe: Kiva Dark Chocolate Molten Lava Cake
Yield: 2 cakes containing 10MG THC each.
- ¼ cup (40 g) chopped dark or semisweet chocolate
- 4 dark chocolate Kiva Bar squares containing 5MG THC each (20MG THC total)
- 3 ½ tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 ½ tsp (7g) all purpose flour, sifted
- 2 tbsp (26g) granulated sugar
- Small pinch of salt
- Baking spray
- Cocoa powder, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Place butter in a microwavable bowl and microwave for 20 to 30 seconds, until just barely melted (or heat in a small saucepan over medium-low heat). Add the chocolate and heat, or microwave for another 15 seconds, until the chocolate begins to melt. Stir with a spatula until completely combined.
- Pour the butter over the chopped chocolate pieces and stir with a rubber spatula until the chocolate is melted and smooth.
- Place whole egg, egg yolk, sugar and salt in a large bowl. Using hand mixer, whisk on medium-high speed for 2-3 minutes until the mixture is pale yellow, fluffy and creamy.
- Pour chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and add flour. Combine with a rubber spatula until fully incorporated.
- Coat two 6-oz heatproof vessels such as custard cups, ramekins or silicone molds with a generous amount of baking spray. Ensure that all sides are covered.
- Using a sifter, dust cocoa powder all over the inside of the cups. Place both vessels onto a baking sheet.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two coated vessels.
- Bake 11-13 minutes, until the outsides of the cakes are set and pull away from the edge of the vessel, and the centers are still jiggly. A toothpick inserted into the middle should still come out fairly
- Remove from oven and let cool for 1-2 minutes.
- To serve, loosen each cake away from the sides of its vessel with a toothpick. Carefully flip each cake over onto a plate and gently lift away the baking dish. Serve immediately.
- Molten lava cakes can be topped with whipped cream, vanilla ice cream, a dusting of powdered sugar or more shaved chocolate.
Looking for more Kiva recipes? Check out our Cinnamon Sugar Churros with Kiva Caramel Dipping Sauce!